The Information Communication and Technology (ICT) department is one of the core, non-academic departments of The Kisumu National Polytechnic.
The current Principal Mrs. Joyce Nyanjom together with the management setup the department in January 2012. The management hived it off from the Mathematics/Computer Department after they decided that the latter needed to concentrate on its core mandate of teaching.
The department provides ICT support to the entire institutions while working closely with the Computers and Mathematics Department to facilitate the latter’s academic programs. It advises the entire institution on how to integrate emerging ICT Technologies in College Management and Curriculum delivery with operations.
Practically, it provides computer network services; web applications services; software development; telephone exchange systems; development and maintenance of management information systems to help in meeting the academic and administrative needs of the Polytechnic.
The management seconded two lecturers to the ICT Services department and employed five support staff members to constitute the department.
To be a model of excellence in the delivery and provision of training and exceptional solutions of ICT applications.
To build a scholarly commitment in pursuit of excellence and innovation in ICT training and creative developments of new technologies in our graduates that will help meet and solve ICT Challenges in society.
The ICT Services department is charged with a number of responsibilities necessary in ensuring smooth running of varies activities within the polytechnic.
In order to ensure that the department discharges all its responsibility in the right way, the department operates within the following core values:
- Communication: We provide our clients and partners with, accurate, and up-to-date information concerning all aspects of information and communications technology. We work with them to build relationship of trust, respect, and support across cultures.
- Consultancy and Training: We help others understand the policies and the best practices that underwrite excellence in their ICT projects. We model best practices for others. We are patient and we listen. We mentor others seeking information Technology Skills.
- Partnership: We seek new Knowledge about information technology and communications and readily collaborate with others to advance to our mission. We value and facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration with external partners.
- Professionalism and Integrity: The process by which we achieve results is as important as the results that we achieve. We treat all our collaborators with respect.
- Skill and Knowledge Development: We pursue training and professional development opportunities to ensure that we are knowledgeable, up-to-date, and effective. We learn from others, and we learn by doing.
- Teamwork: Every ICT project requires the care and attention of many collaborators. We work together to meet the needs of all.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Provision of quality ICT Services to the Polytechnic
- Management, control and maintenance of ICT in the Polytechnic.
- Advising Polytechnic Authorities on all ICT matters.
- Formulation of ICT policy for the Polytechnic.
- Interpretation of ICT Policies and related matters for the Polytechnic Systems Administration.
- ICT End-user Support and Training.
- Planning, Development, Activation and maintenance of Information Systems Projects.
The department provides a number of services to the Students, Staff, Administration and other stakeholders. These services include:
- Network Administration Services
The Network Administrator provides these services and is responsible for designing and planning the network, setting it up, maintaining it and expanding it according to need.
- Management Information Systems Services
These services include; maintaining the system, verifying that peripherals are working properly, repair hardware whenever there’s a failure, monitor system performance and create a backup and recovery policy. These services fall under the systems administrator
- Software Development Services
Software development services includes, creating, developing and producing new computer software applications. This process involves reviewing the current system, presenting ideas, analyzing, producing specifications, coding and testing, implementing and maintaining the new system. This service falls under the software developer/ computer programmer.
- Web Administration Services
His main duty is managing and maintaining the polytechnic website. This involves; designing and developing the website; administering the website; making sure all the web servers, hardware, and software are working properly; managing email and controlling information flow through the website.
- User Support Services
The user support section provides general User Support Services such as handling user requests, diagnosis, troubleshooting and solving the problems by administering first level support to the users. This works by receiving, attending and resolving user requests related problems.
- Telephone Exchange Services
The telephone exchange service involves duties such as answering calls, taking message and assisting customers over the phone. The telephone operator also ensures all departments have operational phone extensions.