Meshack Kidenda, Chairman
MSc In Traffic Engineering
BSc Civil Engineering
Chanzu Lomolo, Member
Secretary To The Council
The Senior Principal
Alex Kazongo, Member
Nelson Aloys, Member
BSc – Business Administration
MBA – Management Info Systems
MSc – Development Finance
Lilian Mainye, Member
Bachelor Of Arts (Geography & Sociology)
Higher National Diploma In HRM
Member of IHRM
Roseline Odede, Member
Bachelor Of Law
Masters In Law
Post Graduate Diploma In Law
Rajeer Arora, Member
Hons in Agriculture and Economics Training in Advocacy and Value Chain Management
The Kisumu National Polytechnic was reborn under a new order in accordance with the TVET Act Sec 26(1) (c) and mandated to offer Diplomas, Higher National Diplomas as well as technical degrees in collaboration with technical universities under section26
The TVET Act 26 (4) (a), further provides for the establishment of Governing Councils of the vocational institutions. In 28 (1) (c) The Cabinet Secretary in consultation with the TVET Authority establishes the Governing
Council for National Polytechnics.
Thus, the Governing council is an organ established by the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Act 2013.
The TVET Act 29 sets out the functions of the governing council to include the following
- Overseeing the conduct of education and training in the institutions in accordance with the provisions of the Act and any other written law.
- Promoting and maintaining standards, quality and relevance in education and training in institutions in accordance with the Act and any other written law.
- Administering and managing the property of the institutions.
- Developing and implementing the institution’s strategic plan.
- Preparing annual estimates of revenue and expenditure for the institution and incurring expenditure on behalf of the institutions
- Receiving, on behalf of the institution; fees, grants, subscriptions, donations, bequests or other moneys; and to make disbursement to the institution or other bodies or persons.
- Determining the fees payable and prescribing conditions under which fees may be remitted in part or in whole in accordance with the guidelines under the provisions of this Act.
- Mobilizing resources for the institutions.
- Developing and reviewing programmes for training and to make representations thereon to the Board.
- Regulating the admission and expulsion of students from the institutions subject to a qualifications framework and the provisions of this Act.
- Approving collaboration or association with other institutions and industries in and outside Kenya subject to prior approval by the Board.
- Recruiting and appointing trainers from among qualified professionals and practicing trades persons in relevant sectors of industry.
- Determining suitable terms and conditions of service support staff, trainers and instructors and remunerating the staff of the institutions in consultation with the authority.
- Making regulations governing organization, conduct and discipline of the staff and students.
- Preparing comprehensive annual reports on all areas of their mandate. Including education and training services and submit the same to the board.
- Providing for the welfare of the students and staff of the institution
- Encouraging, nurturing and promoting democratic culture , dialogue and tolerance in the institutions and
- Discharging all other functions conferred upon it by the Act or any other law
Membership and Governance Procedures are set out In Section 28 (3) as follows:
- The Board of Governors of a public institution shall consist of not less than seven (7) and not more than nine (9) members appointed by the Cabinet Secretary.
- The membership of the Board of Governors shall comprise: A Chairperson, A representative of the Principal Secretary in the Ministry responsible for technical and vocational training, A representative of the Governor
in the County within which the institution is located and Six other persons appointed on the basis of their knowledge and experience in Leadership and Management, Financial Management, Technology, Industry, Engineering,
Information and Communication Technology.